Like many of you, I have been testing out CF9, and I ran into a problem that I thought I'd share that's not CF9 at all, but... well, here it goes.

I usually install my CF locally as a J2EE install, as that gives me compatibility with back at the office and more flexibility (my long overdue multiple instance blog post will have to wait, but this is related).

I need to keep running and supporting ColdFusion 8.0.1, so rather than messy double installs, I installed CF9 as an EAR file. Initially, I had some successes, but when I had to uninstall everything and start from scratch on an unrelated issue that I won't get into here, I couldn't install CF9 as an instance. It kept failing on deletion of folders, like this example:

There was a problem Message: The specified directory attribute V:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\SERVER-INF\temp\cfusion-war-tmp\{UUID here}\cfusion.ear\cfusion.war\WEB-INF\cfusion\temp_zip cannot be deleted. Detail: You may not have permissions to delete this directory. The exception occurred during a cfdirectory action="delete".

It was not a permissions issue. I bumped up CF8 to run as an Admin on the notebook. Same result. It also wasn't CF9. Although I hadn't replicated it before, I since replicated it twice on a CF8 EAR file.

I will backtrack to say this is on an HP laptop, running XP SP3 with an effective 3GB RAM from 4GB (after running Physical Address Extension).

After reporting the issue to Adobe, and trying many variations on the install, a couple of guys from the CF development team asked me to turn off my Antivirus - eTrustITM - to see if it would work. I wanted to go further, so I turned off: Firewall (XP standard security), eTrustITM antivirus AND PestPatrol, and try installing until I could find a culprit.

Turning on each of them and not the other two resulted in good installs for each. That told me it wasn't one of them, but a combination of two or more of them was the problem.

It was the combination of eTrustITM - antivirus, AND PestPatrol that caused the problem. Turning those two on and leaving the firewall off caused the failure again.

Anyway, I bid you a cautionary tale - if you try running a similar J2EE JRun install and try to make a new instance... beware that you should turn off both antivirus and anti-spyware program before doing so. I hope it helps someone out there. And thanks to the Adobe team who were able to steer me in the right direction!